The Visigoths from the fifth century onwards continued to call it Corduba. The Muslims conquered the city at the beginning of the 8th century and called it Qurtuba. The period of greatest splendour will be that of the Caliphal period during the 10th century. It is a period of economic strength sustained over time, in a brilliant cultural environment that welcomes artists, poets, doctors, astronomers, mathematicians... Testimony and visual expression of this period is the Aljama Mosque of Cordoba that stands out in the profile.
After the conquest of the city by the Castilian King Ferdinand III el Santo in 1236, the mosque was converted into a cathedral, as a result naves were built inside the oratory room that stood out in height and the minaret was recreated, turning it into a bell tower. The city will be called Córdoba, a name that will never change.
At the beginning of the Roman bridge you can see the Puerta del Puente (Puerta del Puente), built on the occasion of the visit of Philip II on the same area where there was already a gate of the wall since Roman times.
Opposite the mosque stands out the Episcopal Palace in Mannerist style (17th century) was built on the same site as an old Visigothic palace, where the Caliphal fortress of the 10th century was later to be found.